Friday, August 27, 2010

By Melissa Shepard


When I think of a time that marked the ending of a chapter and the beginning of a new one in my life, I’m reminded of the last job I had as a psychotherapist. One afternoon more of many that were filled with anxiety, exhaustion, disillusionment and sadness I closed the door to my office and began crying uncontrollably. The more I cried, the more I felt a release of a heavy load that I refused to carry anymore…I needed my heart to feel free to experience my life’s work joyfully…as nature intended it.
As I often do during a time of reflection, I reached for a notepad to “cry on paper” by writing my thoughts and feelings. Interestingly, I found myself writing a list of “what if…” allowing lavish ideas to fill in the blanks and, gradually, began feeling enthusiastic and ready to ask more questions. Then, wrote all qualities I could think of that would support my new intentions, my new thoughts on where and how I could give of myself and feel like I’m in my creative zone. Lastly, I wrote the resources around me that could assist me in the process of taking my life in a direction that feels true to who I am. No more tears flowed and the sense of “I can” grew stronger. The decision was made and no external circumstances could derail it!
When I re-opened the door to my office, I was back to my Self. I chose to live my life, as if I’m already in a new place…even eliminated some things from my office over the course of weeks to enhance the feeling of moving to a new place before finding it. What a great trick! , I thought, and it worked because no matter what was going on in my work environment I had risen above it. I felt good and the annoyances were seen for what they are: temporary.
In the course of creating the conditions in my heart and living space to receive a new experience, I focused on returning to a routine of taking care of myself, which had gone by the wayside in “caught-upness in the land of burnout”. My job search was filled with enthusiasm, instead of angst…just flowing with it, knowing that I’m on my way. One day, of course, appeared a beautiful opportunity to serve my gifts in a creative environment…Thank goodness for quietude and alertness because, finally, I’m living like a plant in the right soil. Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment