Friday, August 27, 2010

By Peter Jensen


IN MY DEFENSE

He was captain, a natural born leader. I was his trusted confidant in combat. I gave
everything I had to protect him as he commanded the defense. But he was tired. Tired of
the competition, of the time and dedication it took to compete at such a high level. He
was tired and wanted to go to the prom the same weekend the rest of the squad insisted
on leaving town that to play a tournament in Kansas City. He was stuck between his
commitment to his team and a desire to make memories with a beautiful young woman, a
vintage navy blue tuxedo, and a Triumph TR250. So he made a wish. He summoned an
injury. Just a small one, something where he could miss the tournament, go to prom, and
continue playing afterwards. It was so simple. One tiny little weekend injury. No injury
came, so he came up with a compromise: He would go to prom, and catch a plane early
the next morning, in time for the first game. Prom was marvelous. After sushi, dancing,
and tooling around in the Triumph, they went to a party and got plastered. So much so
that when it was time to leave for the airport, he could barely walk. He was not his
complete self until after a weekend long hangover and an early exit from the tournament.
The following Tuesday, league-play continued. I could never have prepared myself for
what was about to happen. It was a routine maneuver. A long ball came in. He jumped,
with my support of course, and headed the ball away. Upon landing, the opposing
forward ran right through him. The rest of his body went back with the blow. I got
stuck. RIP. POP. SNAP. I never knew I could scream so loud. I couldn’t help it. The
weight, the stress of it all was too much. He screamed in pain. I began to swell, and
blacked out. When I came to, I knew I would never be the same. Upon receiving the
MRI results, he wept. A completely torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament. I was broken, and
needed complete surgical repair. I would never be able to hold him the way I used to.
His competitive career was over. I have never forgiven myself for letting him down. In
my defense, he did ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment